Image ID: 00371
The photograph shows Jim Wass, local carpenter, at the doorway of the Horse and Jockey pub on Skellgarths. He was identified by his son, who also identified his handcart further along the street, parked outside his business premises in the buildings just beyond the horse-drawn wagon. On the right hand side, almost opposite the wagon, is the hanging sign of the White Swan (alehouse). After the Horse and Jockey was demolished in September 1929 the newly built County Library opened in 1937. The library building was recently demolished, to be replaced by a row of three cottages in 2017. A story ciculated about a landlord who, with his wife, was wont to go down to his cellars and drink himself into a stupor, leaving his customers to help themselves and leave the money in a pot. He did not prosper. See also A3703.
Courtesy of Unknown
Category: Shopping and Services, Street Scenes, Transportation, Horse Drawn Vehicles, Hotels and Public Houses, Library, Streets
Organisation Reference: A0104
Dedicate this image to yourself or someone special. Just click "Dedicate" and type a short message to begin.Dedicate