October Short Fair

Image ID: 00379

October Short Fair

Date: 1899

The photograph is taken from an upstairs window of the Town Hall, looking down on to the Fair and the east side of the Market Square. The hut to the right of the Obelisk was Leek's Cocoa House, and was erected and dismantled each week. Leek's had Dining Rooms on North Street, but would service the fairs and markets on a regualr basis. The Crown Hotel is evident on the extreme right, next to this is Snow and Son Jewellers. Appleton's half-timbered frontage was added in the 1930s by Martins Bank which then occupied the premises.

Courtesy of Douglas Atkinson

Category: Agriculture and Animals, Shopping and Services, Street Scenes, Transportation, Agriculture, Animals, Cafes, Horse Drawn Vehicles, Market Days, Market Square, Shops

Organisation Reference: A0204

Rate this image:

< Back to Search Results

Dedicate this image

Dedicate this image to yourself or someone special. Just click "Dedicate" and type a short message to begin.


Buy this photo


Pinterest LinkedIn Google Plus