Image ID: 00381
This photograph shows the triple-arched stone bridge, constructed in 1745, replacing one of timber, which had been on the site since the 15th century. The bridge was built to span the River Skell and as part of the road-widening project of 1892, and was replaced with one made of iron and steel, still in place today. In the background on the right is Hepworth's Bewery, established sometime around 1822, and remaining as a Brewery until the late 1950's, though by that time it was a subsidiary of Vaux Brewery.
Courtesy of J T Gillings
Category: Industries, Waterways, Bridges, Industry, Rivers
Organisation Reference: A0206