Image ID: 00447
The old weir, built by 1800, on the River Skell stretched right across the river, diverting some of the flow into the Mill Race which ran down Low Mill Road. On the far side of the river stands Ostcliffe's Tannery which was in operation until it was closed in 1885, following the death of James Ostcliffe. The site was then acquired by the Trees family, builders, who eventually built Skellfield Terrace on the site.
Courtesy of Unknown
Category: Industries, Places of Worship, Waterways, Cathedral, Industry, Rivers
Organisation Reference: A2106
Dedicate this image to yourself or someone special. Just click "Dedicate" and type a short message to begin.Dedicate