Image ID: 00462
The old weir on the River Skell stretched right across the river, diverting some of the flow down into the Mill Race which ran down Low Mill Road. On the far side of the river stands Ostcliffes Tannery which was still in operation until the late 1880's. It was closed 1885, following the death of James Ostcliffe in 1885. The site was then acquired by the Trees family builders, who eventually built Skellfield Terrace on the site.
Category: Industries, Places of Worship, Waterways, Bridges, Cathedral, Industry, Rivers
Organisation Reference: A2406
Dedicate this image to yourself or someone special. Just click "Dedicate" and type a short message to begin.Dedicate