Image ID: 00464
This image is one of a stereo pair of images showing a decorative arch across the south west corner of the Market Square, looking towards Kirkgate . The arch was erected to mark the visit to Ripon of the Prince and Princess of Wales in 1863 (note the Prince of Wales' Feathers at the top of the arch). Bateman's shop (No 1 Market Place) later became Etherington's Drapers; in the 1920s it was the Blue Bird Cafe. Eventually it was demolished and rebuilt as the National Westminster Bank, now occupied by the Skipton Building Society (2017). Mr Hammond 'Surgeon Dentist and Photographer' took this photograph. His name is visible bottom left and he worked from the Crystal Gallery on North Street.
Courtesy of Thomas C Hammond
Category: Culture and Leisure, Shopping and Services, Street Scenes, Celebrations, Shops, Streets
Organisation Reference: A2408
Dedicate this image to yourself or someone special. Just click "Dedicate" and type a short message to begin.Dedicate