Image ID: 00465
This is an image copied from the 1895 Guide. The chapel, located on Magdalens Road, was founded by Archbishop Thurstan between 1114-1141. Its function was to provide for lepers and blind priests, and later, for those who were destitute. A new chapel was built in 1868 by Helen in memorium to her husband the Rev. George Mason, who had lived at Copt Hewick Hall. Six almshouses, designed by Mallinson of Ripon, were added in 1875 and a further six in 1892. It underwent restoration during the 1980s and was converted to a house c2000. Furthermore, it was one of three 'hospitals' in Ripon, the other two being St John's in Bondgate and St Anne's 'maison dieu' in High St Agnesgate.
Courtesy of Christopher Watson
Category: Emergency Services, Places of Worship, Churches, Health and Welfare
Organisation Reference: A2409
Dedicate this image to yourself or someone special. Just click "Dedicate" and type a short message to begin.Dedicate