Image ID: 00492
The photograph was taken from the upstairs window of the Town Hall, looking towards the north and west sides of the Market Square. The cattle and sheep are in pens, and the traps on the cobbled Market Square would have belonged to the farmers. Note the Russian Gun, near the Obelisk. This was a Crimean War Trophy from Sevastapol. It stood on the Square until the cobbles were removed around 1900. Then the gun was taken to a new position at the far end of Kirkgate across from the West Front. The shop on the extreme left was Todd's, the Grocers. It is understood that the shop front was transferred to the Castle Museum in York. The archway next to Todd's is inscribed 'Implements Yard' The shop beyond was then Wigglesworth's, the whitesmiths, but is now occupied by Boots the Chemists (2017).
Courtesy of Unknown
Category: Agriculture and Animals, Animals, Shopping and Services, Shops, Street Scenes, Market Days, Streets
Organisation Reference: A3107
Dedicate this image to yourself or someone special. Just click "Dedicate" and type a short message to begin.Dedicate