Image ID: 00528
This image shows an early bridge on this site, indicated with having only 2 rails; note the precarious passing place. The wooden bridge bore the inscription 'Alma Bridge, erected by the exertions of Mr Thos. Stubbs A.D 1862'. On the far side of the river stands Ostcliffe's Tannery which was still in operation in the late 1880s. It was closed after 1885, following the death of James Ostcliffe. The site was then acquired by the Trees family, builders, who eventually built Skellfield Terrace on the site.
Category: Industries, Places of Worship, Waterways, Bridges, Cathedral, Industry, Rivers
Organisation Reference: A3905
Dedicate this image to yourself or someone special. Just click "Dedicate" and type a short message to begin.Dedicate