Image ID: 00529
This image shows an earlier Alma Bridge as evidenced by the two rails and a precarious passing place. The wooden bridge bore the inscription 'Alma Bridge, erected by the exertions of Mr Thos. Stubbs A.D 1862'. In the background, across the weir, stands Ostcliffe's Tannery, which operated until the mid 1880's. Around the turn of the century the premises were bought by the Trees family, who built Skellfield Terrace on the site. There is no clock face on the South West Cathedral tower, as this was not installed until 1906. This helps to date the photograph.
Courtesy of George Clarke
Category: Industries, Places of Worship, Waterways, Bridges, Cathedral, Industry, Rivers
Organisation Reference: A3906
Dedicate this image to yourself or someone special. Just click "Dedicate" and type a short message to begin.Dedicate