Image ID: 00535
The Kings Arms was situated at the bottom of Bedern Bank until it was finally demolished in the 1950s as part of the Council's road widening scheme. This much earlier image shows some boys standing outside the pub in their uniform. They are possibly 'Blue Coat' boys who attended the Jepson School. The school had been founded through a bequest by Zacharias Jepson, an apothecary who died in 1672, to provide board and education to orphan boys and sons of local tradesmen who were poor. It was known locally as the Bluecoat School due to the uniform worn by its pupils.
Courtesy of Robert Cox
Category: Educational, Places of Worship, Shopping and Services, Street Scenes, Cathedral, Children, Education, Hotels and Public Houses, Streets
Organisation Reference: A4002
Dedicate this image to yourself or someone special. Just click "Dedicate" and type a short message to begin.Dedicate