Kings Arms, Bedern Bank

Image ID: 00536

Kings Arms, Bedern Bank

Date: c1910

The Kings Arms was situated at the bottom of Bedern Bank until it was finally demolished in the 1950s as part of the Council's road widening scheme. This much earlier image shows some boys standing outside the pub in their uniform carrying milk pails; this ties in with the time on the Cathedral clock showing 08.55. They are possibly 'Blue Coat' boys who attended the Jepson School. The school had been founded through a bequest by Zacharias Jepson, an apothecary who died in 1672 at the age of 49 to provide board and education to orphan boys and sons of local tradesmen who were poor. It was known locally as the Bluecoat School due to the uniform worn by its pupils.

Courtesy of Robert Cox

Category: Educational, Places of Worship, Shopping and Services, Cathedral, Children, Education, Hotels and Public Houses

Organisation Reference: A4003

Rate this image:

< Back to Search Results

Dedicate this image

Dedicate this image to yourself or someone special. Just click "Dedicate" and type a short message to begin.


Buy this photo


Pinterest LinkedIn Google Plus