Image ID: 00540
The original building was the earliest of Ripon's Hospital Chapels, being founded by authority of Archbishop Thomas, between 1109-1114. Its function was to offer shelter to poor travellers and later, specifically to poor schoolmasters of Ripon. The Chapel was used as a school for boys from the early eighteenth century; 210 boys were attending in 1818. The school moved to Priest Lane in 1853, whilst the medieval chapel was demolished and rebuilt in 1868. The architect was Crossland of Leeds and it was funded by the Hospital Trustees at a cost of Â£1300. A remnant of the west end of the primary chapel forms part of the current enclosure wall. Six almshouses were added in 1878. St John's was one of three "hospitals" in Ripon, the other two being St Mary Magdalen and St Anne's "maison dieu" in High St Agnesgate.
Courtesy of Robert Cox
Category: Emergency Services, Health and Welfare, Places of Worship, Churches
Organisation Reference: A4011
Dedicate this image to yourself or someone special. Just click "Dedicate" and type a short message to begin.Dedicate