Image ID: 00562
This house was occupied by George Knowles (c1776-1856), Architect and Civil Engineer, and his wife Ann (nee Wormald), between 1822 until c.1836. Knowles was also responsible for designing St John's Church in the same village, which is located one mile north-east of Ripon. This property was used as an army staging camp during WWII and known as Lister House from 1946, when it was bought by the British Legion to house war veterans. The estate was sold in the 1980s and converted into various properties with the name Fairlawns being re-established. Note the wind powered generator to the right.
Courtesy of Robert Cox
Category: Housing and Domestic Life, Military, Housing, Second World War
Organisation Reference: B0809
Dedicate this image to yourself or someone special. Just click "Dedicate" and type a short message to begin.Dedicate