Image ID: 00630
The image is taken in front of Bondgate slaughter house located behind St John's Church and the Ship Inn, although Appleton's shop premises were in Kirkgate at the time. In 1936, another shop was opened at 6 Market Place. The four vans and their drivers are, from left to right - Johnny Wright (Jock), George Myers, Edgar (?), Bob Woodward (?), Ronnie Moore, Harry Robinson, Bob (?) Scatchard and Bill Nelson. Jonas Gaunt was a pork butcher who came from Leeds c1920s and later traded under the Appleton name, continuing to employ Jack Appleton and his sister Gladys. According to local trade directories, the Appleton's butchery was established in 1811.
Courtesy of Unknown
Category: Industries, Shopping and Services, Transportation, Cars and Lorries, Industry, Shops, Transport
Organisation Reference: B6706
Dedicate this image to yourself or someone special. Just click "Dedicate" and type a short message to begin.Dedicate