Image ID: 00631
An image of Appleton's shop frontage at 6 Market Place. The premises were purchased at auction by Jonas Gaunt on 18th August 1936 and were in addition to those on Kirkgate. Jonas Gaunt was a pork butcher who came from Leeds c1920s and later traded under the Appleton name, continuing to employ Jack Appleton and his sister Gladys. According to local trade directories, the Appleton's butchery was established in 1811. However, the company website informs us that nineteen year-old Thomas Appleton started working for Smithson's butchers in Kirkgate, Ripon. When Mr Smithson died c1872, the business was transferred to Thomas and became T Appleton & Son. The mock tudor facade had been added to the building in 1928 when owned by Martins Bank Ltd.
Courtesy of Unknown
Category: Shopping and Services, Shops
Organisation Reference: B6707
Dedicate this image to yourself or someone special. Just click "Dedicate" and type a short message to begin.Dedicate