Image ID: 00641
These five images join to form a group photograph of the staff and pupils of the Grammar School in wartime; there are sandbags at the entrance to the boarding house. The school had one of the three Ripon Air Raid Warning sirens. There are 196 boys and 17 staff in the picture. They are ranged in front of the school buildings; to the left is the original Georgian house that was taken over by the school when the Marquess of Ripon gave the site. The main block was designed by Leeds architect George Corson and opened in 1874; the large windows light the main schoolroom, which was 72 feet by 30 feet (it is now (2018) the school library. To the right is the Science Block (later art, needlework and geography) opened in October 1906 by the Marquess; a surplus of funds raised for the block paid for the Sanitorium.
Courtesy of Unknown
Category: Educational, Education, Schools, People, Portraits
Organisation Reference: C0712
Dedicate this image to yourself or someone special. Just click "Dedicate" and type a short message to begin.Dedicate