Image ID: 00705
Ripon became a diocese in 1836, and a palace for the bishops was built between 1838 and 1841, at cost of £10,000 ( hence Palace Road ) The design is by London architect William Railton, who in 1839 won the competition to design Nelsonâs Column in the capital. The style of the palace is Tudor; in 1846-7 Railton added a chapel in the Perpendicular style; one of the windows there was dedicated to Archdeacon Dodgson, father of Lewis Carroll. During World War II the premises served as a Barnardoâs evacuation centre for girls and in 1950 became Barnardoâs Spring Hill School, a residential facility for children with special needs; the bishop was housed elsewhere in the city. Much of the building is now (2018) converted to private residential use.
Courtesy of Unknown
Category: Educational, Schools, Emergency Services, Health and Welfare, Housing and Domestic Life, Housing
Organisation Reference: E2109
Dedicate this image to yourself or someone special. Just click "Dedicate" and type a short message to begin.Dedicate