Image ID: 00711
This view is looking east from outside the Black Bull public house on the left. Beyond is the Mechanics' Institute built c1893 which since 1956 has been Ripon's main Post Office. In the centre is No 4 Old Market Place displaying a fascia reading 'W. Benson Ironmonger and Plumber' and yard doors with a sign reading 'Electrical Engineer'. Benson's had moved here from King Street by 1912. To the right is the three-storey pub with a signboard reading 'The Star'. This was one of the city's oldest pub, recorded in 1801 and still operating under that name until at least 1936. It was later re-named as 'The Wakeman' and is now the Hornblower Tavern.
Courtesy of Douglas Atkinson
Category: Shopping and Services, Street Scenes, Hotels and Public Houses, Post Office, Shops, Streets
Organisation Reference: F5613
Dedicate this image to yourself or someone special. Just click "Dedicate" and type a short message to begin.Dedicate