Image ID: 00755
The chapel, located on Stonebridgegate (previously known as Stammergate) was founded by Archbishop Thurstan between 1114-1141. Its function was to provide for lepers and blind priests, and later, for those who were destitute. It was one of three 'hospitals' in Ripon, the other two being St John's in Bondgate and St Anne's 'maison dieu' in High St Agnesgate. This photograph shows the two cottages adjoining the chapel (orginally these formed three dwellings when built in 1844) which were demolished in the early 1900's.
Courtesy of Unknown
Category: Emergency Services, Health and Welfare, Housing and Domestic Life, Housing, Places of Worship, Churches
Organisation Reference: D1501
Dedicate this image to yourself or someone special. Just click "Dedicate" and type a short message to begin.Dedicate