Image ID: 00758
Nurse Daisy Rutherford looked after the Nurses Home at Ripon Army Camp, 1916 - 17. The badge on her arm denotes the Voluntary Aid Detachment - a voluntary unit of civilians providing nursing care for military personnel. The Ripon Military Camp covered vast areas around Ripon, and accomodated up to 30,000 troops and workers whilst training and preparing for onwards journeys to the Front. As well as a range of other services, the Camp included a large military hospital with 670 beds. The hospital was situated on the Pateley Bridge Road, opposite the turning to Studley, where the War Memorial stands today.
Courtesy of Unknown
Category: Emergency Services, Health and Welfare, Military, First World War, People, Portraits
Organisation Reference: D4413
Dedicate this image to yourself or someone special. Just click "Dedicate" and type a short message to begin.Dedicate